Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Vivian is 4 months…

It seems like it can’t possibly have been four months ago that I had Vivian.  She is such a sweet little spirit.  I really enjoy having her near by me.  This month she has become a little more interested in being close to mom as much as she can.  She doesn’t make me hold her all the time (thank goodness because that would be difficult) but she wants me in the same room with her if possible.  I can leave the room for a while and she’s okay for a bit but if I’m gone too long she gets a little upset.  She is still quite a patient little thing as she went to San Diego on vacation and flew to Utah this month.  I never thought I would want to travel with an infant (or that I would actually do it).  She has really proved a flexible baby so far (though we have one more chance to test her this weekend on her traveling abilities). 

IMG_3887

At her 4 month well-check she weighed in at 14 lbs 1 oz measuring 26” long with a 16” head circumference.  Those numbers put her in the 75% for weight, the 90% for height (!) and the 50% for head size.  Because I’m always wondering how Christian and Vivian’s growth will compare (they were the same weight at birth) I checked out his measurements at his 4 month well check.  He was 14lbs 13ozs and 26” long which, because he was a boy put him in the 43% for weight and 87% for height.  Interesting.  From that I gather that probably because of Jared, we make long skinny kids.  There are a lot of things about her that remind me of Christian, but personality-wise she’s much more mellow though she’s happy like he was at this age. 

IMG_3891

This is the age when I really really fell in LOVE with Christian.  Four months is such a darling age.  I’m just wishing I could capture my memories of these kids better.

Vivian really loves everyone.  She is always smiling at whoever is near her.  And she prefers to have attention now which she didn’t notice so much last month.  She’s also VERY interested in sitting and spends the majority of her waking moments in a crunch position.

IMG_3897

She’s still a pretty good sleeper though because she’s much more interested in sitting she’s had a more difficult time calming down to sleep.  She’s been sleeping from around ten pm to eight or nine am.  I’ve been making sure to put her down for naps every hour and 45 minutes after she’s been awake and that has really helped her.  Right now we’re at three naps a day which is pretty nice.  She takes a morning nap and I can spend some time with Christian while she sleeps.  Then she wakes up around lunch and reads books with Christian and I.  He goes down for a nap and then she eats and goes down.  They usually end up waking around the same time and if I want to nap while she naps I can actually get a little sleep, or I can do a project with both of them down.  I like it.  Then she takes a nap right after dinner and then wakes up as we’re putting Christian down.  I’m really enjoying this schedule though my next goal is to have her go to bed earlier and maybe wake earlier.

Vivian is really into playing with toys.  I love it.  It’s so fun to watch her play.  If she’s awake now she’s happiest examining a toy.  She also loves patterns like most babies.  Her favorite things to examine are daddy’s plaid PJ bottoms, the vents, and my polka-dotted PJs.  She has perfected her roll from her back to her stomach though now she seems to have forgotten how to roll from her stomach to her back which is what she learned first.  She’s so chill that sometimes it’s a little disappointing that it’s hard to tickle her funny bone.  I go to great lengths to get her to laugh and usually I get one amused sigh from her and that’s it.  Dang it.  Here’s a picture of Jared trying to find a ticklish spot on her… one has yet to reveal itself.

IMG_3927

At her well-check the doctor gave us the go-ahead to start her on solids (not that they’re really solid). Yah!  I love teaching babies to eat.  It’s so fun to watch their reactions and find out their preferences.   

I really think it’s a way to tap into their personalities further.  Christian was really excited yesterday when I told him we were going to give her baby food.  IMG_3944

After her first bite. IMG_3952

She stole the spoon at one point and gave it a try herself.

I took a video of the momentous occasion and I simply love her face on it.  Christian’s remarks to her are darling too.  [If you listen closely you can hear Martha in the background….I know I’m a freak.  She’s the only show I watch consistently because it’s an adult speaking I love it.  Besides it gives me cooking motivation when I really feel like it’s too hot to cook.]

2 comments:

  1. She's adorable. I love those chubby cheeks and pretty blue eyes. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I love her expressions in the video. She still reminds me a lot of Kate when I see her pictures, especially the one where Jared is trying to tickle her.

    ReplyDelete