Monday, August 1, 2011

Our New German Friends

The first week of July, a friend of Jared’s Parent’s came from Germany with her son to visit her daughter who was to have a baby and is living in Phoenix right now.  Her other daughter had also come down from St. George with her two little ones to visit with everyone too.  It’s pretty ironic because the daughter living in the valley is the same one who came over to our apartment at the U of U student housing to borrow my printer so that she could print out her resume before going to an interview, and now she’s living in Mesa because her husband (who she met shortly after the first time I met her) is studying to be an Audiologist at ASU.  Oh the irony.  I met with them on Tuesday the 5th, the same day as the insane dust storm in here that made it so we didn’t get home until about 10 p.m..  I took them to a music store which was the boy Andre’s greatest desire.  I invited them to dinner the following Saturday which was the 9th of July.  The baby had been born the night before so it worked out well to have the rest of the family over at our house while she was still in the hospital.

We had a fantastic time with them.  I had to laugh when Andre kept going back for more food and would exclaim over and over “I never knew American food could be so good!”  It was a boost to my ego to say the least.  We also served them strawberry shortcake for dessert which I had bought so that I wouldn’t heat up the house by making a dessert.  They kept acting really worried about the shortcake but thankfully they really enjoyed it and finished all that there was left.  I had forgotten from German class that German’s generally don’t eat too many sweet desserts. :)  Vivian was very interested in the baby who was about 3 months old.  They had to strap him in because she kept trying to take him out of his car seat.  She really likes babies….

IMG_9136 IMG_9137

After dinner, we had a really fun time playing “Headbands” if you haven’t played this game you might want to look into it.  It’s our favorite game to play with Christian because it doesn’t take reading but it’s not a “go around the board” game.  It’s kind of like 20 questions but more fun.  The only problem is that Christian will sometimes ask if he’s the thing that someone else is, especially me.  :)  We had such a blast, I’m so glad we got to meet this fun family!

IMG_9133

1 comment:

  1. That is so awesome! I love to meet native Germans! They are so fun to talk to! I'm glad thye liked your cake! I thought of the not too much sugar thing as soon as I read that, but I'm glad it worked out. That game looks like a lot of fun! I'll have to look into it.

    ReplyDelete