Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Getting busy in the kitchen

After Easter, I was pretty beat what with having craft night and all.  I think I was feeling so relieved that I didn’t have “any plans” for the next week that I was a little too quick to say “yes” when a mom from the kindergarten class that I made the graduation cake for asked me to make a cake for her daughter’s 9th b-day.  I was already planning on caning pineapples that week. But I thought, sure why not make another cake and sharpen my fondant skills.  Well, if I was looking to learn more, that mission was accomplished.

I was really excited to do another cake and the mom wanted a zebra stripe pattern which I was super excited to try…except that any of my ideas to have flowers, pink or any color but blue were pretty much shot down which I must say was annoying because I had some really fun ideas I wanted to try.  Oh, and she wanted to keep her price really low which I must confess is tricky with fondant, and so the white frosting is buttercream.

It turned out pretty cute and I’m pleased with what I did.  I was pretty frustrated that she couldn’t visualize the end result of some of my other ideas (that would have been a little less time-consuming for me as well…)IMG_2297

At least when they picked it up the little girl was basically freaking out she was so excited!

IMG_2300

Here’s Vivian standing very proudly by the cake (and the hutch that  Jared and I finished painting the week before..oh yeah, another reason why Easter week was crazy).  I didn’t realize until that morning that Vivian’s zebra (or shall we call it African princess) dress pretty much matched this cake…it must have been giving me subliminal messages or something.

Jared and I also tried our hands at canning pineapple too, it was pretty easy and I have to say, next time pineapples are $1 I’ll do it again in a heartbeat.

 IMG_2292

Thankfully, I finished the cake on Thursday evening so that next day, I spent all morning playing with my cute, funny, little girl.  She pulled out all the baby toys and was having a blast.

IMG_2340IMG_2345

I’m so grateful that I can spend my days with this sweet little girl that calls herself princess.  It’s so rewarding!

3 comments:

  1. Great job with the cake! I really love that Vivian is all things "Princess"!! Gotta love little girls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it turned out cute! I should try canning pineapple someday . . . do you have to heat seal it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Job Heather!!! Wow that cake is beautiful! You are amazing!!! I need to can foods too. Your kids are getting so big. Great job once again!

    ReplyDelete