Tuesday, November 1, 2011

The next phase of our trip…

….The next day was Wednesday, and my dear friend Brooke was nice enough to take Vivian and Christian for the day so that I could spend it taking care of my Grandma. It was a fast, if trying day, and I was happy to be able to do something, if anything, to help her be comfortable and know that I love her.

When I got back to Brooke’s to pick up my kids, she insisted we all have dinner together and then she took the kids and I out to see her garden and I took some funky photos of the kids.

clip_image001

I love how Vivian’s hair looks like a halo in this one even though it’s not the best shot.

clip_image002clip_image003

Both Vivian and Christian cover their eyes with objects that they want me to take pictures of but I thought this was cute nonetheless. Vivian was so excited that she could pick a tomato right of the vine it was cute. clip_image004

This photo is kind of obscured, but I love how intent Brooke and Emma look.

clip_image005

Vivian started taking this job pretty seriously…

clip_image006

Christian and Emma having fun with each other and trying not to listen so he wouldn’t have to come back with me.

I took the kids home that night and put them to bed and then went back to Grandma’s house to spend the night watching her. It was a rough night but I was glad I was there for her.

Before Kristen left for work the next day (Thursday), I ran back to the house to be with the kids and get them ready for the day. My dear Charisse watched them again that day and then my sweet sister Julie came and picked them up so that I was able to be with Grandma the rest of the day. It was a very rough day emotionally, but I am so so grateful for my loving friends who were willing to watch my kids so that I could be there with my Grandma. I went back to Kristen’s house that night and then decided to see how Mel and my cousin Elise were doing at the house so I snuck off to be with them. When I got there, Grandma wanted to be moved to the bed and it took all three of us to lift her so I was glad I felt prompted to come. We joked that grandma was having a sleepover with the girls as we all dozed in the same room to keep watch. At around two or three in the morning Grandma got very cold and so we called my mom and uncle and told them to come because we weren’t sure when the end would be. They came and nothing changed after that. Elise left that morning to go to work and I stayed there with my mom, aunt, and uncle because Kristen had taken the day off because of Labor day and she wanted to play mommy for the day. Because my aunt Mel suggested it, we decided to set out Grandma’s September decorations and clean the house.

It was so much more peaceful after that and we were so glad Mel was prompted to suggest it. Later that afternoon, I went back to Kristen’s to shower and then came back to Grandma’s. It was so peaceful there that I was glad I could come and sit with the family members who were there and talk. It was at sunset that she peacefully passed away. I had just gotten a text from Jared saying that he was on his way, and I said this to everyone present and that is when her breathing changed until it was no more.

I am so grateful to my Heavenly Father that because of my friends and family members who helped me, I was able to be there with my grandma during her final days. Thank you so much all of you who were willing to open your homes and take care of my children so that I could be with my dear Grandmother. I can never express the gratitude I feel for you all.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you were able to come up here and be with all of us! Good friends really are priceless as well. Thank goodness we have friends!

    ReplyDelete