Thursday, October 8, 2009

My First Visit with New Doctor…

…was yesterday.  It was set for 7:30 so I arrived 10 minutes early hoping to be able to fill out all of the paper work quickly and get in and be done.  I had to bring Christian because Jared had to be in the office by 7:30 and to be honest, I don’t have any friends near by (Sherrada is in Mesa) and have no idea where I could have left him especially for an appointment that early in the morning.  Overall he was pretty good.  Well the receptionist came in at around 7:40 and gave me a lot of papers to fill out about my medical history.  After I gave the papers back to her she glanced through them and then exclaimed “Oh, so you have had previous medical care with this pregnancy!” Why yes, I have.  I guess when I explained on the phone that I had moved and needed to get a new doctor she zoned out or something because she was expecting me to say 7 weeks rather than 27 weeks.

The appointment went well though I sensed some apprehension when I explained the situation with my back and that because of my full fusion I can’t have an epidural and if I need to have the baby by cesarean I would have to be put under general.  He looked at Christian at that point and said “I’m assuming you did alright with having him naturally?”  I hope that served as proof that I have some idea of what I’m getting into. 

Honestly, I don’t think there is anything wrong with an epidural, however, in my situation it’s impossible so I need to do the best I can without it.  It would be nice to have more options but I don’t.  Other women have gone for hundreds of years without anything for pain when giving birth.  After I had Christian I read an story in a magazine about  a woman with a spinal fusion who discovered and tried hypno-birthing.  Shortly after that, I was talking to my sister Julie and we talked about hypno-birthing.  She was incredible and decided to look into it for her own daughter’s birth and found the hypnobabies home study program.  She is going to go this route again and this time I’m going to it try  for myself.

The CD’s are corny, but they do help you relax which is the goal anyway.  I sleep so much better when I practice with the CD’s so that is a definite plus.  In the manual they talk about how fear of pain can cause pain.  I think that’s interesting and it reminds me of that scripture in 2 Timonthy 1:7 “For God hath not given us the spirit of fear: but of power and of love and of a sound mind.”  They say that birth doesn’t have to be painful if you can rid yourself of fear.  I guess I’ll have to see how well this works but since it is my option I’m going to try and take it.

But I digress….After meeting in the office, I was taken into the exam room and given yet another ultrasound.  Yes!  I love watching ultrasounds!  They are so interesting.  I really wonder sometimes why I didn’t just go into medicine.  My favorite classes besides music in school were Human Biology and Anatomy and Physiology.  I could have become a radiologist or something like that but I think I had a pretty limited view of medicine back then. 

The office was set up pretty nicely, they had a love seat and an additional monitor for those sitting on the loveseat so Christian was able to just watch which he thought was pretty cool.  The baby now weighs about 2lbs and thankfully is now head-down, though of course that can change, I’m praying it doesn’t.  She was crossing her ankles during the ultrasound and her hands were playing with her feet.  Her weight moved her date on the ultrasound up to January 3rd, though I’m planning on her coming late.  This doctor said that if you first child is that late usually your next ones will be late as well.  He gave me a couple of pictures of he face but in my opinion side views in ultrasound are cute but the face pictures are more like skeletons.

Here is a shot of her face…

ultrasound001 crop

…a little scary huh? I’m much more excited to see her in living color with skin!

No comments:

Post a Comment