Thursday, October 22, 2009

Christian’s Halloween Costume ‘09

I am so relieved!  Yesterday, I finished the last bit of Christian’s Halloween Costume for this year.  I meant to have it done earlier in the month but I got sick with a cold for about the first two weeks of October and just wasn’t up to sewing.  I was trying to get him to be a dragon since I had a pattern for that and it was from the same pattern I made last year and the year before so I knew it would be quick.  But alas, he did not conform to my ideas.  A while ago he watched The Disney Three Musketeers with Mickey, Donald and Goofy and decided he wanted to be a Musketeer.  As luck would have it, I had bought a pattern at a pattern sale when I first got my sewing machine that includes a Musketeer Costume.  So though it was more tedious than I had originally planned, I made Christian a Musketeer Costume out of it and also a hat from a pattern I already had for one as well.

 IMG_1333  My Handsome Musketeer 

 Copy of IMG_1344  Copy of IMG_1322 copy

Of course, once I get started on something I can’t stop, so after a while of sewing a doublet and tubard, I decided to make the other pieces in the pattern so that he could have a prince costume when he plays prince (which is actually one of his favorite games).  So here he is as a prince as well.

IMG_1313 copy

Prince Christian

I think my mom must have given me some kind of costume obsession where I just want things for my children to be able to dress up and play make-believe.  Playing with dress-ups was one of my favorite things to do as a child growing up.  We always had amazing costumes that my mom would sew for us as kids.  As I grew and was in drama for a while I still continued to have a love for costumes and dressing up.

Christian has been wearing his prince costume almost non-stop through-out the day though he does take it off to eat because he doesn’t want to get it ruined.  I’m really pleased that he’s enjoying it so much.

5 comments:

  1. (This is Sherrie, by the way.)
    Those are the cutest costumes! Christian looks so handsome. I remember playing dress-up for hours with my sister. I bought a bunch of fun fabric this fall to make dress-up clothes for my kids for Christmas, but it's been hard to get around to it. You have inspired me to get started!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so darling Heather!! You do such a fantastic job with his costumes every year! I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I'm so impressed with your great sewing! And good taste. Christian looks so dashing and handsome. How can his grandma not be both please and impressed?
    What great fabrics they have now for such projects. I remember looking high and low, sometimes, for some of the kinds of fabrics I wanted to use for some costumes. Keep up the great work. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy cow! You are such a great seamstress! I'm way impressed with the professionalism of your costumes. We should add them to the costume website for sure. Great job! Christian is so adorable!

    ReplyDelete