Friday, October 2, 2009

Missionaries for Dinner

(No, they were not on the Menu)

Monday the missionaries came over for dinner (it was my great idea to choose a Monday to get someone else to do the Family Home Evening Lesson).  Afterwards, as I suspected they would, they gave us a lesson that even included visuals.  They  gave the lesson based around a quote from “The Family: A Proclamation to the World” which is the same exact spot that I am assigned to speak on the Sunday after Conference.  It’s “Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ.  Successful marriages and families are established and maintained on principles of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion, work, and wholesome recreational activities…”

Then they put a nail in a little board and told us that it represented Christ and then they had six other nails and asked Christian to name some things that keep our family strong.  Jared prompted him on various things and he came up with things like Prayer, FHE, Games, Forgiveness, Family Dinner, and Love.  Then the missionary asked Christian to try to get the nails to balance on top of the nail in the board without touching the board.  Christian tried and then Jared tried…after a while one of the missionaries showed us how to do it….

 

 

IMG_1225 

I was pretty impressed and so was Christian!

IMG_1224

Then they talked about continuing to do all the things that keep our family strong are important and that if we keep Christ in the center of our home we will be happiest.  I really agree with that.  It’s the days that I lose my focus on what’s really important that I am more easily frustrated and quick to find fault and lose my temper.  I’m so grateful for my family immediate and extended.  I really do love them all.  I’m so glad I can be with them forever if we all stick together and follow the Saviors teachings.

3 comments:

  1. That is so cool! You should send that picture to Michael so he can use that object lesson too. I bet he'd love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun thing for the missionaries to do with your family. I'm impressed with how attentive Christian was while they taught him. That surely made a good impression on him.

    ReplyDelete