Saturday, June 4, 2011

The joys of grass…

A couple of weeks ago, Jared and I noticed that the water company was offering free classes on drip and sprinkler systems.  I talked him into taking a class so that we can get our backyard in shape sooner than later.  Well, because of that class, Jared figured out the reason we have an oasis of grass in our back yard (while all the rest is dying) as well as lovely mineral deposits on our fence directly behind the oasis.

The Ginger and the kids have really enjoyed the patch of grass as it’s one of their favorite places to play (and one of the only places they can hide in our yard).   IMG_8440

Here’s Christian showing off some his new gardening things that I found in green and he just had to have!  I’ve been trying to talk him into helping me with weeds…so far he’s interested for the first two or three as he “slays” them, but after that, not so much….IMG_8442   I love how almost buried Vivian looks in this photo!

IMG_8457 Yes, I know this shows just how hideous our yard looks right now, but at least we’re working on it ;).  Here it is easier to see how high the grass is  next to Ginger and the kids.IMG_8467I absolutely adore this photo of Vivian in the grass!  She’s just like an elfin cherub with her sweet little grin! IMG_8468   I think someone’s planning some mischief!IMG_8489   Here’s Jared’s foot and a shovel while he digs out the valves which the previous owner had buried in landscape rocks… (what the?)IMG_8491

Notice all that lovely wet clay below the valve?  Hence the source of our leak…I’m so glad it’s not some obscure place somewhere along the line.IMG_8492

And now for a closer look.  Once Jared dug out the area, I put a bucket under it and it was full within half an hour.  No wonder our water bill has been insane!

If anyone has any tips/pointers/thoughts for Jared on drip and sprinkling systems, we’d love to hear them as Jared still hasn’t finished all the repairs that need to be made.

Even though all this work is a bit of a pain, at least we’re learning something and we have our own yard for the children to romp around in!  That’s the important stuff right?

2 comments:

  1. I have no good tips to pass on because we are kind of "yard-stupid", but I'd love to hear any that you have learned! Good luck getting everything figured out and working right!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad taught me everything I know about sprinklers, so he's the person to ask.

    ReplyDelete