Sunday, May 15, 2011

Saturday Sundaes

Yesterday, our family got up pretty early in the morning so that we could not only get our bountiful basket order, but to attend the ward 5k fun run/walk.   Now whoever thought of this (and I’m pretty certain that it’s a couple of marathon runners who didn’t happen to have kids with them at the ward activity…just saying) wasn’t actually putting all of the factors together of what the attendance would be for such an activity and why.  I am sure it was in the upper 80’s or lower 90’s by the time we started walking.  After that, we all went as a family on errands, ironically, I went to the hardware store with Vivian and the boys went to the Salon to get haircuts.  On our way back home, the kids were baked and we all felt wiped out from the heat, and Christian was crying that we needed “A sweet, cold treat for such a hot sunny day”…in other words, he wanted to go get ice cream which isn’t the most fun activity to me since I can’t have milk and most shops do not have dairy-free options.  Vivian had fallen asleep in the car so I had Jared stop the car at Fry’s so I could get a couple of things and a little surprise.

So later after dinner, I sent the kids to have baths and set out this:

IMG_8307

Our very own little ice-cream parlor!

Christian was very excited when he came downstairs and made an “order” right away.  I had been delighted when I found that Fry’s now carries a reasonably priced dairy substitute ice cream that actually comes in a quart.  It was the same price as all the pints!  I had also seen these cute sundae cups a while ago and really wanted to get them so what better excuse than a surprise?!

IMG_8308 IMG_8312  IMG_8319    I love the look of delight on Christian’s face because he could have as many toppings as he wanted!IMG_8324     Vivian refused to have any help….IMG_8330   They were all very happy with our family activity even though they had to forgo their weekend movie.  Christian apparently was really thrilled about this idea because all his prayers since have prayed that we can do the same thing again soon…and the answer of course is “yes!”

4 comments:

  1. You are such a great mom Heather! I love to surprise my family with little things too so I may have to steal your idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO SO CUTE! I love it. I think it is better than any ice cream parlor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute idea! I love the picture of Christian and his Sundae! What a cutie! You are pretty cute too in your red apron! What a fun Mom you are!

    ReplyDelete