Sunday, June 26, 2011

Something strange happened to me on the way to finishing a cake…

This past month has flown for me.  I don’t even know what has kept me so busy (okay, that’s kind of not true…you can see what I’ve been doing lately on my updated crafting/cooking/homemaking blog).  Another thing that I’ve been up to is I started teaching piano lessons this month.  I have been really blessed to be able to have found a friend who isn’t apposed to bartering who has agreed to watch Christian and Vivian one day a week while I teach in exchange for me to teach her girls piano.  So far, I have nine students, and I hopefully have more that will sign up once school starts.

I started out this month making a cake for the kindergarten graduation for the little boy next door that Christian plays with.    IMG_8653 I got the idea off the the Wilton Cake website.  But I decided to do it in the school colors and I had to modify the little people on it so I didn’t have to buy any more stuff (one complaint I have about making cakes is the initial cost of doing them).  Anyway, to talk about the strange thing that happened to me, while I was finishing this cake is that I had taken a break from making all the little people (15 to be exact) that go on the cake, I was holding Vivian up in my left arm while we sat on the couch and she decided to throw a fit and do “the fling” into my right arm.

My arm hyper extended and hurt for just a minute and then made a “popping” sound and I looked at my wrist and there was a bump on my wrist under the skin.  Gross!  The strangest thing was that it didn’t even hurt.  So Jared ran to the closest store and picked up a brace for it.  The next day, I was lucky enough to find a friend who was sweet enough to take me to the doctor’s and then to get it x-rayed while she was thoughtful enough to offer to take my kids over for a play-date too so I didn’t have to wrestle them during my visit.  There is no break in my arm/wrist so I’ve been told to baby it but it doesn’t even hurt.  Any of my friends who are in medical school or are P.A.’s and or some kind of doctors think it’s a cyst.  Gross huh?  I guess I’ll need to get it looked at if it doesn’t go away….

So after going to all these doctor’s appointments, I came home and finished the kindergarten graduation cake.  Because I wasn’t able to make as many things ahead of time because of my odd accident and spending a hunk of time in the doctor’s office, I ended up staying up until almost 2 a.m. to finish this cake.  The  next morning, I got up and took the kids and cake to the school by about 7:15 so that I could assemble it before any kids showed up.

IMG_8657 

Christian and Vivian in the classroom with me while I assembled the cake (notice how far away Vivian is strapped into her stroller).  We stayed for the Kindergarten Graduation with my neighbor and friend Tonya and then went home.  I was exhausted to say the least but I have to say that though it took extra time out of my making a cake, I am so very, very grateful to my sweet friend Julie who took time out of her busy day so that she could take me to the doctors office the day before.  Hopefully we will be able to get a car #2 soon so that if anything else happens, I’ll be able to take my own self! IMG_8648

2 comments:

  1. What a cool cake! Great job!

    Sorry about your wrist. I had a cyst on my face that showed up when I was pregnant with Sandy. After she was born, they took it off - just made a slit in the skin, popped it out, and bandaged it up. I think it is starting to grow back again, though. Gross!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you are one busy, domesticated, talented lady!! All that canning, cake making, and piano teaching just wears me out thinking about it! I love canning. It is very satisfying. I have wanted to do some this summer, but I haven't had any energy to stand longer than 5 minutes. I took a shower this morning and had to lie down for 2 hours after just to recuperate. You are one amazing lady1

    ReplyDelete