Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Christian’s 5-Year-Old Birthday!

This Sunday Christian turned five!  In other words, it was my 5th Anniversary of becoming a mother. :)IMG_7387Christian, with his “Balto” cake!

We had a party on Saturday for him that was themed:

“Story-Book Adventures”

It was kind of random and old-school, but he LOVED it!

We had Pin-The-Tail on the Donkey for the story about “Cleaver Aisha”

IMG_7363Christian, with Moses and Sophia showing where they got their tails

Musical Chairs for the “Musician’s of Bremen”  And a Rocket Space Ship Piñata for “Curious George Gets a Medal” IMG_7366The kids lined up to hit the piñata

 IMG_7380Zion, giving the piñata his all! (He’s the one who eventually broke it)

IMG_7383

 

For the food we had pigs-in-a-blanket for the “Three Little Pigs”, Pork and Beans for “Jack and the Beanstalk”, goldfish crackers for “The Little Golden Fish” and a veggie tray for “Peter Rabbit”.  I’m not sure any of the kids really “got” the theme, but it was what Christian wanted.

IMG_7359    “Balto” Birthday cake.

I made Christian an igloo cake with Schleich husky dog figurines to be for the story of “Balto” which is actually a movie and I’m not sure it’s a book, because that’s what he wanted.  Originally, we were planning on doing a Narnia cake but after looking into those figurines (and finding out they averaged from $35-$50 a piece, I gave up on that idea).

I was so exhausted after his party that I’m not sure we’ll do a party with a whole entourage of friends every year…maybe just landmark years…like 8, 12, and 16, not sure yet :).  It probably will also depend on how much family we have around on those years.

On Christian’s real birthday, Sunday, we had the missionaries over for dinner (because no one else signed up and I needed help eating Christian’s left-over cake besides that Christian adores missionaries).  They gave us a lesson about how prayer is like the string of a balloon, and that we can get closer to Heaven (the balloon) by using the string.  Creative huh?IMG_7395 Christian on his birthday!

After the missionaries left, we had our own little party and opened some of his gifts from us.  I took movies of this so that’s why the next photos are a little off-color and grainy…IMG_7398Vivian giving her brother a hug IMG_7404 Christian checking out his new book! Vivian wondering if there’s anything else in the bag…IMG_7409 “Real” soccer shorts!IMG_7411  The fisher-price Play-n-go Castle with a knight and a dragon.IMG_7418 Jared reading Christian and Vivian a story in that poor little chair before bed.

I am so thankful for my big boy!  I can hardly believe that five years has passed by so quickly.  Christian is such a sweet and smart little boy who is excited to learn everything he can, explore, create and make-believe as much as possible.  He is really thrilled with the easy-reader books he got for his birthday and has even been able to read most of some of the stories in it.  He loves to color and is always showing me “his designs”.  It’s very fun to see how boundless his creativity can be.  One of his favorite gifts from friends’ was an explorer kit…which he LOVES and keeps going into the yard to dig up “dinosaur bones”.  It is so much fun to see the games he comes up with!

I am so in love with my little boy.  He can be stubborn and feisty, but heck, so am I.  He still loves to cuddle (which I’ve decided is a boy thing) and have me read books to him for hours if I’m willing.  He loves learning about the gospel and continues to listen to scripture scouts almost every day and sometimes almost ALL day.  Because of that, I’m constantly asked if our family reads scriptures an hour a day. The answer is “nope”.  When we do read scriptures it’s usually one or two verses we can discuss.  I think it’s mostly scripture scouts and that listening to them spark Christian’s curiosity to ask me questions about gospel principles.

I am so thankful that I have the privilege to be Christian’s mother and that he joined our family five years ago.  He is truly a gift.  

1 comment:

  1. What an awesome creative party! You are such a great mom!!

    ReplyDelete