Sunday, September 5, 2010

The Artistic Child…

Friday morning after a long night of being awakened almost every-other hour due to bad dreams, fevers due to a cold, teething, and my own cold, I woke up late at 9 am when Vivian woke me.  I came into Christian’s room to see how he was since apparently, he’d been happily playing for probably the last two and a half to three hours—never waking me.  He popped up from behind his bed to show me some art he’d been working on with the paints (which are  acrylic and are kept in the closet in the hall at the highest shelf I can reach).  I was delighted with the lovely colors until I saw where he had decided to set up shop painting.  This is what I saw:037   

Thank goodness I bought that Advantage Cleaner a couple of years back in Utah when that lady came knocking on my door.  Because this is what it looks like now.  Not perfect, but after 30 minutes of scrubbing, it was going to have to do.

043

My only question is, how do you punish kids for stuff like this?  I know my one SIL would make her kids clean it up themselves but then it probably wouldn’t get as clean and I wouldn’t want a four-year-old cleaning with chemicals.  What I did make him do was sit on time-out until I finished scrubbing because I was so frustrated I was about to lose my cool.  I feel bad that it was such a long time-out but I hope he learned his lesson.

3 comments:

  1. Oh man! I'm am sorry! That happened to us at our condo, but Cassidy was only 1 and 1/2 years old. I don't know how to punish a 4 year old for this! I'm glad you were able to get most of it off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, no!! I think the timeout while you cleaned it was fair, I can't think of a better solution.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes! I would totally lose my cool if that happened to me. I wouldn't trust Lilly to clean it up either, but I actually have done that before; made her wait on time out until I've taken care of it, no matter how long it takes. There are some cases where I think it's okay to make your kids do the cleaning, but I think that applies better to situations where it's there own stuff, and there room, etc. When it involves other people in the family or other rooms or chemicals, like you said, it really is your problem too.

    ReplyDelete