Friday, September 11, 2009

Exploring the Zoo

I am so lucky that though I really don’t know many people here in AZ that I do have one good friend from high school and college who’s family moved here while she was on her mission so that she came back to her family here instead.  I had a great day Wednesday.  She invited Christian and I to join her, her sister, their kids, and her mom to the zoo.  We had a great time!

kids on overlook

This zoo is rated one of the top 5 zoos for kids in US.  They are doing some construction that should be done soon which is good because I’m intrigued to see the fisher price petting zoo area.  It looks amazing (they’re fixing the water line so it’s closed off in that area).

   Kangaroo pouch 2    There are also a few different children’s playground areas.

 

There is a children’s walk where there are some gorgeous statues of various animals.IMG_0835

Isn’t this elephant statue just gorgeous?

IMG_0837Christian enjoyed the lion.   

Clam Shell kids 1   Here are all the kids in a clamshell. IMG_0851The closest I want my boy to one of these!  

IMG_0848

Peek-a-boo!

 

I was really impressed with the openness of the habitats that the animals were able to roam about in.  It was beautiful. IMG_0813

Isn’t this area for the monkey’s beautiful?  If you look close, you can see the monkey swinging from the rope.

  IMG_0828 

You can come up very close to these wallabies though they don’t want you to touch them.  It was amazing to be so close.

IMG_0855

This is probably the best shot I’ve ever gotten of a zebra… usually all I get is the backside view.

IMG_0857

Checkout this area for the African herbivores…it was so incredible to see them all roaming freely among each other.  

IMG_0861 Aren’t giraffes simple beautiful?  It was nice to see them all mingling together.IMG_0869

I love this area for the cheetah…it’s so lush looking!

IMG_0870

This area for the flamingos reminds me of paradise.

 

One thing about the zoo during this month in AZ…it was HOT!  It is great that this zoo has a splash area for the kids to play in.  Christian had a blast in there!

lydia and christian christian in the water IMG_0874  

IMG_0890Thank you for inviting us Sherrada we really enjoyed it!

2 comments:

  1. Great pictures! Wow! It makes our zoo look kind of like a prison camp for animals huh? Christian is so cute in these pics too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful memories of a zoo for Christian. That you for sharing. One of my first memories as as child, at probably age three, is my Dad pointing out an elephant to me at Hogle Zoo. That moment has stayed with me all my life. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete